Pages

Friday, October 05, 2012

How-to Ombre: L'Oreal Wild Ombres Kit Review.

You may remember this post from a while back, when I ombred my hair with the hair stripper from Scott Cornwall. I was really happy with the subtle result because it was a major step for me to be dying my hair when I had spent so long getting my natural colour back. I really loved the subtle effect that wasn't too in your face.

As time went on though, I got compliments on how it looked and I really loved it myself, so much that I wanted to br braver and go further with it. Enter the L'Oreal Preference Wild Ombres Dip Dye Hair Kit*. 

Last weekend I had a free evening and decided I was going to go for it!

I wasn't sure what to expect and I was a bit worried because this is essentially bleach which I knew would lighten quite a bit. The results came out great though and I am super happy. The kit comes in three different shade ranges for different hair colours, I used No 1, for light to dark brown hair.

Read on for my quick how to, and the final results after styling..



The new Wild Ombre kit from L'Oreal comes with intructions and a special brush that you can use to comb through the ends of your hair to get the effect that you want. To be honest, it didn't work for me. I have thick hair and lots of it, so I did my own thing. The kit also said to apply the colour up as far as you wanted it and to just leave it for up to 45 minutes. I didn't do that either.. I wanted a gradient effect with my ombre, so this is what I did.

Preparation.
* Donned an old T-shirt that I didn't mind getting dye on, just in case.
* Used old towels, bleach will lighten anything it touches.
* Combed through my (unwashed and dry) hair to remove any tangles.
* Sectioned my hair into two, one section on either side of my head, and put it into pigtails.
* Put on the gloves and mixed the colour and shook it up.

The Application.
* Applied it to the bottom two inches of my hair.
* Let it develop for ten minutes.
* Applied it again, going two inches higher.
* Again, I waited for ten minutes
* Then applied a further inch or so.

Throughout the whole process I kept on combing through with a wide tooth comb to distribute the dye evenly.. When it came to the top section part (the last section I applied it to) where the colour ends I used my fingers to comb through and run bits of the dye through some random strands too, to get an even blend.

The reason I applied the dye gradually was so that the bottom section would lighten considerably more than the section above, and the section above that. It worked well and made for a lovely gradual/ombre effect.

After leaving it for a final ten minutes (30 - 35 total) I rinsed it and used the shampoo included . . and voila, I was ombred!

I'm sure you are all thinking, 'Okay, let us see!' by now, so here are my after pictures.. I didn't take a before, but you can see how subtle it was in my first ombre blog post (linked above) .. or in this image here.
Natural Light  -----  Flash
I love how it came out.. So much lighter, and much further up. Sorry for the dodgy expressions, these were just about showing off the hair really.

I definitely reccommend this kit if you are tempted to try the ombre look, it was so simple to use, and very effective. It's a bargain too, click to take a look at/buy the hair colour kit, or in your local high street stores. :)

78 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow sounds great and looks fab, deffo going to try this :)

Sophierosehearts x

Benish@getsettoshine said...

wow...your hair looks great.

Leanne said...

Looks lovely! :-)

Sophie said...

Yay. Let me know how it goes! x

Sophie said...

Thanks Leanne :)

liloo said...

you achieved the ombre look with perfection. wow!!
liloo/@tsunimee xx

Sophie said...

Aw, thanks Liloo! :)

Abby @ Un-observed.blogspot.co.uk said...

Wow! Love your hair. I really want to try doing it to mine xx

Unknown said...

This looks so lovely! I'm really trying to be good to my hair, but maybe I'll ombre it when it gets to the length I want it. :) xo

EJ said...

omg! thank you for the perfect tutorial! hopefully mine will be as nice :)

lauraelizabeth said...

looks great, I'm trying this out tomorrow x

Anonymous said...

been wanting to try this and my hair looks a similar colour to yours. just wondering though if it goes horribly wrong can i just dye over it with a darker colour or will that make it a gingery mess? lol. and i really don't want to have to chop inches off my hair?!

WengYee said...

Looking fab! If I get the guts to do it, I'm definitely going to follow your steps! x

Raves 'nd Ramblings

IT'S MY FASHION™ said...

Your hair looks gorgeous ..I'm feeling brave, want to try this today! Wish me luck =D

Oh following you now, would love if you could check out my blog!

Charlee
british-belle.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

i tried this yesterday and did nothing to my hair but i just combed it in as i hadn't seen ur blog so will try again doing it the way u did.

Danielle said...

Ah that looks wonderful. Yours turned out a lot better than other people's I've seen online. If it's an ombre effect it should be gradual like yours. Saving your post for if I'm brave enough to do it myself!
x
http://www.daniellesdiscerningeye.blogspot.co.uk

Anonymous said...

You can definitely dye over it with a dark brown and shouldnt go ginger, it should cover the colour completely!

BethanyRose said...

This looks great, I think your hair looks better than the hair on the box of the dye~much more gradual/natural effect!

Anonymous said...

Nice look :)
Can you tell me did you have your natural hair before ombre or was it dyed?
Because I dye my hair in dark brown so I don't know will it work on dyed hair.

Anonymous said...

i love ur hair colour in both pics, did u use the scott cornwall kit for the first ombre pic? x

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this. I am going to ombre my hair today and have tried to find loads of tips on getting the gradual effect. I am going to try it by going from the bottom up like you said. Yours looks amazing :)

Sophie said...

My hair was my natural colour hair. It should still work over dyed hair but may not go as light. :)

Sophie said...

I used the Scott Cornwall in this pic.. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RiNIlCBSU4Y/UFd1z9GC2JI/AAAAAAAAEdw/gNpLMlJ0cwU/s1600/1f.jpg The pics above that you can see are both after I used the L'Oreal kit.

Sophie said...

Thank you, good luck! :)

Sophie said...

Thank you so much :)

Sophie said...

That's so nice of you, thanks :) Good luck!

Sophie said...

Good luck, I hope it helps!

Sophie said...

How exciting. Did it come out well? :) x

Sophie said...

Thank you! Good luck :)

Sophie said...

You can go over it, but I'd use something semi permanent to start with because of having just bleached it :)

Sophie said...

Thanks! How did it go?

Sophie said...

Thank you! I wish you luck :)

Sophie said...

Good luck if/when you do!

Karen said...

looks awesome! bought this today and gunna do it this evening :) looked at the instructions inside tho and it said to just apply it to the entire length of hair without gradually building it up like u explained :S ur way makes much more sense tho!

Karen said...

awesome! bought this before and gunna try it tonight :D x

Anonymous said...

This looks lovely, I really want to dip dye my hair but I'm not sure which one I would use, I have natural dark brown hair x

Loll said...

Gorgeous! I've been planning on ombre-ing my hair for a while now, but the only thing that's stopping me is the fact that it's bleach... Did this make your hair knotty and dry? Because it looks really shiny in the photo but I was wondering if it's in the same condition as it was before. Thanks, Loll X
http://labelle2101.webnode.com/ ---Shiny new blog. It's not very good, but i'd love it if you left me a comment.

Sophie said...

I'd recommend the kit I used, aimed at people with darker hair. :)

Sophie said...

I'm glad I could help! Good luck :)

Sophie said...

I hope it went well!

Sophie said...

It is bleach so will be somewhat damaging to your hair for sure, but my hair is not knotty or dry atall, I just make sure to use lots of conditioner on my ends and a heat protectant spray if I am styling with heat :)

Anonymous said...

Can you post a video demoing?

Floral Danielle said...

Yours turned out lovely!
I'm gonna do mine tonight, I hope it turns out like this! :)
x

Anonymous said...

Your hair looks great! was your hair fully brown before you dyed your hair cos mines a dark brown but i dont want it blonde at the bottom...

manurose said...

You've convinced me:)) I was just wondering which one should I pick?I'm a natural redhead:))

manurose said...

You've convinced me:)) I was just wondering which one should I pick?I'm a natural redhead:))

Anonymous said...

My hair is in pretty good condition however its a little dry at the ends i really want to try this before christmas but im worried its going to dry out my ends and make them break off, do you think this would be a possibility?

Anonymous said...

I really want to use this product before christmas but i have a few split ends and am worried this bleach will cause my hair to break off :S do you think its strong enough? My hair isnt very damaged its just a bit weak at the tips

pierogi said...

amazing effect! :D mekstyle.blogspot.com check us! :*

Unknown said...

Have got this on my hair as we speak! No idea how it will turn out! Thanks for a great review and clear instructions. Your hair looks fab!

Unknown said...

Got this on my hair as I type.. wondering how it will turn out! Thanks for a great review and clear instructions. Your hair looks gorgeous!

Rochester Wedding Photographer said...

Wow you are looking fab.

Unknown said...

looks so nice! just wondering, in the photo you have your hair twisted together.. did you leave it like that to lighten? or is it best to leave it brushed through at straight?

Unknown said...

looks so nice! just a quick question, in the photo you have your hair twisted with the product on.. was there any purpose for that?

Unknown said...

looks so nice! just wondering, in the photo you have your hair twisted together.. did you leave it like that to lighten? or is it best to leave it brushed through at straight?

Sophie said...

I left it twisted like that :)

Unknown said...

I used this today after reading your article and I LOVE IT! So glad I took the plunge, amazing results. Wasn't sure as my hair is short (chin length) but it looks awesome and was easy to do. Thank you!

Loll said...

Great, thankyou! I've decided to go for it and ombre my hair...Scary:))

Anonymous said...

Wow, great result!

MyGlamNails said...

it looks gorgoues ! love it ! now i wanna try it ;)

Anonymous said...

I dye my hair a medium brown (5g) which is closest to its natural color to get rid of grey..can I use this and how soon after I do my hair?

Anonymous said...

I dye my hair a medium golden brown, which is closest to my natural color to remove grey. Can I use this and if so how soon after I dye my hair ?

Unknown said...

I just googled this after wwanting to try it and I'm so happy to have found your blog! Looks great, I'm definitely going to try it!!
lovefromsammie.blogspot.com xxx

Anonymous said...

Wow,lovely!!!<3

Anonymous said...

Did you purchase two boxes or just one? I have thick hair as well and want to try this but i'm scared one box won't be enough.

Sophie said...

I just needed one as it is only for the tips, and I have really thick hair :)

Luciav4 said...

IT LOOKS AMAZING!! I ALSO HAVE THICK HAIR SO IM GONNA TRY IT YOUR WAY ! THANKS FOR THE POST :)

Anonymous said...

very good!!! espero que chegue no brasil! kisses

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I am going to do this tomorrow, but may I ask you something? Is the picture in the collage, with the 'blond' hair your hair with this ombre kit?

Sophie said...

Hi. Yes, The blonde that you see if from using this Ombre kit :) Good luck!

Sophie said...

I applied this over previously ombre'd hair because I wanted it lighter, but it wasn't very damaged - if your hair is very damaged it might cause breakage so be careful.. But it should lift on your hair, it is technically bleach - but it may not go as light as you want if it is very dark already.

Sophie said...

Sorry for the late reply. I would wait a week or two, just to let the hair settle.

Sophie said...

How did it look?!

Sophie said...

Depending how light you want to go.. This one would be good for you if you want very blonde tips.

Anonymous said...

Doing this tonight, have gone all over the internet looking for the best kits and methods, yours does look the best!

Anonymous said...

hi I read your blog and the pictures look amazing I want to try the product on my hair but since im only 13 I don't want it to be permanent is it?

Unknown said...

Did my hair following your steps about a year ago, but with bleach instead and turned out amazing then after colored my hair red with w7 best hair style iv ever had!!