Pages

Thursday, February 02, 2012

- My Recreation of the John Frieda 'Messy Updo.'

 I was recently contacted by the PR team for John Frieda, who told me about the JohnFriedaUK You Tube channel, where they have many different videos, but most recently they have uploaded some videos for people to follow to create the hairstyles from the video. There is a stylist and a model, and you are talked through the simple steps, which can be followed at home.

I was asked if I could like to recreate one of the looks from a video. I chose to try the 'Messy Up Do' hair style.. I chose that because I love glam looking up do's, and whenever I wear my hair up I just put it in a boring ponytail, so I wanted to try something a little bit different.

John Frieda sent me the products used in the video to help me achieve the look.
The Products Included Were:

- John Frieda Frizz Ease Curl Reviver Mousse.
- John Frieda Luxurious Volume Thickening Hairspray.
- John Frieda Luxurious Volume Thickening Blowdry Lotion.
- John Frieda Frizz Ease Perfecting Cream.
- Boots brown Hair Grips.
So, I decided I would give it a go! I watched the video a couple of times, and then got to trying it out!






I have to say I am quite impressed with the outcome. It was nowhere near perfect, but I don't think I did a bad job for a first attempt. I followed most of the steps to the letter, apart from the 'curling the perimeter' of your hair. I already have naturally curly hair, so I left that part out.

This is how I used the products to create my look..

After washing and conditioning my hair I used the thickening mousse all through my mid-lengths and ends, I then spritzed some of the blow drying spray through my hair too. Then I blasted my hair roughly dry with my hairdryer. The mousse and blow dry spray both have thermo protectant in, so my hair was protected.

Once my hair was dry I used a small amount of the perfecting cream through the ends of my hair. Then I backcombed my hair around the crown of my head. I twisted the crown area hair up (like he did in the video) and then smoothed the rest of my hair back into a tight ponytail around the crown. This gave added volume.

Next I grabbed random sections of my hair from the ponytail and backcombed them and twisted them around my finger and gripped them to my head and around the hairband, making sure to conceal it.

1,837 hairgrips and a spritz of hairspray later and I was done! Here is the finished look..
I really do like how it turned out! I felt really glam and retro with this style. You can see I added a little flower decoration to glam it up. I think if I was wearing this on a night out I would add more to it. I also left the front section of my side fringe out too. I look weird with my hair completely pulled back.
There you have it, my new do is complete. Thank John Frieda for sending me the products to create this look. I had fun!

Check out the John Frieda You Tube Channel For More Hairstyles!



[The hair products used were provided by John Frieda PR. All thoughts are my own.]

4 comments:

June said...

I think you did a great job. You hair colour is lovely too!

Kat said...

That looks really nice! I thought it would be way to hard but I might actually have a go tomorrow!

Sophie said...

Thanks!

Sophie said...

It really isn't! I thought it would be tricky too. Good luck!