Pages

Friday, March 26, 2010

Bad Times.. *Sad Face*



I guess, for those of you who don't follow me on twitter, that I should update you all on the job situation.. If you have been following it that is..

It's not good unfortunately! - Well it was, until today..

So, My interview on Monday seemed to go ok, I asked about the hours, saying that I needed FULL time so that we could manage until my partner finds a job, he said the contract is for 4 hours while in the trial period, but that I would be given lots of hours if I got the job because they need staff.

So, on Tuesday night I got a phone call telling me they would like to offer me the position and to go in at 10.30 on Friday for an induction. Excitin' Stuff!

My BF and I were due to sign on at the job centre the following day (weds) so off we went, and explained the job situation. We were a little worried about signing off if I wasn't contracted to full time hours. The lady advised that I do no more than 24 hours per week for the trial period so that we could still sign on, and then when I got a full time permanent contract we could sign off.

Great, we thought..

Today comes, I toddle off to my induction day, with all my proof of ID, etc and spend and hour or so looking around the whole place, filling out a few forms. It came to 'Signing the contract' time and I asked again about hours, saying that I needed guaranteed full time hours each week, or less that 24.. I was taken to the manager, and I explained it all to him and he said they can't guarantee that I WILL always get full time, as staff that have been there longer get the full time hours if they want them first, I understand that so I asked if he could make it so that for my trial I have 24 hrs or less each week, but no! He couldn't guarantee that either. How ridiculous!

I told him there and then that I couldn't take the job because I needed to be able to get a full time wage to pay the bills, or 24hrs or less so that I could still sign on, He didn't seem bothered and just said 'Sorry'.

So, there you go - what a week!

I feel a bit of a failure, but have been assured by my BF and Mum that it's not my fault and I did the right thing. I guess at the end of the day I have to be positive and look forward.

It's their loss!

9 comments:

Katkins1982 said...

That sucks. Sorry to hear the bad news.
Some employers are really annoying when it comes to working hours, I mean, what do they expect you to live off?!

Hope you find something soon, Keep smiling xxxxx

Dreams That Glitter xoxo said...

Awww no I'm so sorry to hear that, rubbish :(. Tons of job force! Really hope things get better soon! <3

xoxo

ChrissyDee said...

Oh goodness. I'm so sorry to hear that. My boyfriend and I are in the exact same position love. We're actually thinking about moving to another country seeing as the UK has failed us in every way possible.
Employers are pulling stunts like this because they CAN. The job situation is that bad...they can get away with screwing people over because they know we're all desperate.
Best of luck to you both. Something will come up soon!
Chrissy xx

Steph & The Spaniels said...

Im so sorry to hear that my love. I've been off twitter today, so not really heard the news.
Just think it can only get better
xxx

Anonymous said...

You did the right thing hun. I once had a '0' hour contract where I was offered basically fulltime hours, some weeks they worked me to the bone, way more hours than full time and other weeks I had nothing.. It wasnt good. Luckily, I still lived at home so it wasnt too bad but it was bad enough, would of been impossible if I was paying bills ect xx

Sophie said...

Thank you all for taking the time to read and comment, you all make me feel so much better about it. Bug hugs xx

Unknown said...

How crap. Make sure you tell them all about it at the job centre. It shows you're employable and that you're trying your best.
And CONGRATULATIONS! You did get the job, after all :)
Elizabeth

Unknown said...

Aww that's awful. I'm so sorry to hear about that :( Hope something good comes your way. xx

SilhouetteScreams said...

Sounds like that manager has a very utilitarian approach to his job =/ i bet their labour turnover rate is ludicrous

I think it's a good thing you turned it down, they could've been horrible managers :)