Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

How times have changed.

This is only going to be a short post, kind of random really, but I was thinking earlier today about how things have changed over the years since I was a teenager.

I normally use my sister as an example of how different things are nowadays. She's is so much more grown up than I was at her age (17).. She has a steady boyfriend, she is going on holiday with him soon, she works and is learning to drive. To be fair, I do think of her as 14 still, but that's just because I don't want her to grow up!

She's a beautiful young woman and I'm very proud of her.

What makes me sad is the pressures that teenagers/young adults are put under nowadays. When my sister was 15 she went through a really rough time over a boy and it was very worrying for all of us, but luckily she had the support of her family and is fine now.


Other examples are youngsters like Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus and Amanda Bynes. I know they're not children, but they've been in the public eye and have to put up with the added pressures of everything that they do being in the press all of the time.

Then there are the Jackson kids, poor Paris Jackson comes to my mind instantly, I cannot imagine the stress she must be feeling for a girl of her age... Not only is she dealing with the ongoing will dispute* over her fathers estate and everything, but she is also a young teenager who is no doubt dealing with boy troubles, school work and just being a teenager and having crazy hormones. After her recent attempted suicide I just feel so sorry for her.

I know this post makes me sound old and like I'm ranting, which I am a bit. I just wonder how things got to where young adults have so much pressure on them. I know that when I was a teenager, I was focused on having fun with my friends and shopping.. Y'know, normal teenager things.

Anyway, to my sister or any young girls and boys that may be reading. Chill out and don't let life get on top of you. Just have fun while you're young. You can worry when you are older. You are perfect as you are and do not let other people judge you or get you down.
If you follow my blog via Google Friend Connect (GFC), it's going to be gone soon. Please follow me on Bloglovin' to keep up to date with my posts.
Follow on Bloglovin
*This post contains a sponsored link*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Each generation has their pressures, when I was in school everyone was having sex (or so I thought) and smoking weed while listening to Pink Floyd.

I was never one of the cool kids because I did my own thing. I got bullied all the time but I just pushed back and eventually I was left alone. I think the difference now is there are more ways to harass people with FB and Twitter.

Sophie said...

I wasn't a cool kid either, but I wasn't bullied fortunately. I went to a strict girls Catholic School though. I just feel like teenagers today are so much more advanced in everything. Times change though! I never had access to the internet at that age. xx